LIBERTY: The Jersey Central Lines Today

Remains of the CNJ Pennsylvania Division


Jersey Central Lines: Bethlehem

 

At a point near the Stefko Blvd./Minsi Trail bridge in Bethlehem is the location where the track resumes today, although the eastbound main is removed. The line is in inoperable condition. There are are more than a few breaches, suggesting the line was to be completely removed. A look back to circa 1973 at this location finds the Lehigh Valley's Bethlehem Road Drill heading up the Minsi Trail Branch. This photo was taken not long after the CNJ's abandonment of its PA operations as evidenced by the double track main still intact and in good condition. Airco is seen in the left background.

Photo by Richard Jahn, reused under Creative Commons

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

 

 

Ghostly image looking west of westbound signal 831. At this point about 100 feet of track is pulled up.

 

Looking east. Look close and you'll see a rail from the former westbound main in the bottom left of the photo among the vines. Ironically the portion of the line in this area is the most grown in today, despite being used by Conrail into the early 1980s.

 

Eastbound signal 832 and battery box along Lehigh Canal.

 

A view from the Lehigh Canal towpath showing the dense growth on the CNJ right of way even in the winter. In summer months it is an impenetrable jungle.

 

Just before Bethlehem Station, there was a runaround track and a siding to serve the freight station.

 

In this photo of bridge 84/24 over the Monocacy Creek, you can see where the old eastbound main was to the left of the current track which is the old westbound main. On the right side of the bridge is the siding to the freight station which is just ahead.

 

A rail from the freight station siding visible in the foreground dirt and grass. The freight station is seen in the center of the photo.

 

View of the CNJ Bethlehem station, built in 1873, which is now restored as a restaurant.

 

Here is a vintage postcard view of the CNJ Bethlehem Station (at left) and Lehigh Canal, circa 1915. The station is located along Lehigh Street near Sand Island in Bethlehem.

 

The CNJ served Brown & Borhek Lumber via this spindly trestle which spanned the Lehigh Canal. The siding was accessed from the eastbound main near the Bethlehem station, seen in the left background.

                      Photo from the Library Of Congress Collection

 

 

2/1/73: Automatic block signal system from JU (Bethlehem Jct.) to PU
(Phillipsburg) abandoned.

2/1/73: Westward track from east end of JU to the westerly side of Monroe
Street Freemansburg is out of service.  Westward track from a point 100
feet east of Main Street Freemansburg undergrade bridge is redesignated as
the Freemansburg Industrial track.

 

 

 

.

Create a Free Website